Plug Into The Power Of Connection! 5 Magic Steps To Build Your Network
The most important skill you can master in life is the skill of networking – building relationships. I truly believe the better connected you are, the more successful you will be – yes I believe it is that simple. Research proves it. All things being equal, education, training, skill set; people who are better connected are more successful.
So if networking is so critical to our success why do not we spend more time learning and developing the skill? Think about this, research shows that 15% of our success in life is based on our technical skills and 85% is based on our ability to get along, communicate and connect with people. Yet we spend little to no time in school developing our networking skills.
So if networking is so important, if we spend little to no time basically learning how to network, how do we get started? Begin by plugging into the power of connection and use these magic steps as your guide.
1. Define Who – you want to network with. Remember, you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with. Choose your network carefully and watch your "average" increase significantly.
2. Listen – A lost art. If you really want to build your network and if you really want to connect with people then you need to learn to listen. Why? Listening is one of the chief ways you convey to people you care and you're interested in them. If you are interested in other people they'll be interested in you.
3. Be Curious- If you want to plug into the power of connection then you really have to love to learn. You need to master the art of questioning and really be interested in the answers and the people providing them. The better questions you ask, the more you'll learn and the better information you'll have to build your network.
4. Find Common Ground – Great connectors and master networkers work to find common ground with people. Find something personal, professional or unique that you have in common with them. Common ground builds trust, creates relationship, and makes you both memorable and likable.
5. Take Action – Follow-up and follow-through. Master networkers and powerful connectors never wait for others to create relationships with them, they take the steps and actions to take the relationship to the next level. They use the information they learned from the first four steps to find innovative ways to build their network and plug into the power of connection.
Yes, the most important skill you can master is the skill of networking. If you want to survive this shifting economy, build your business, grow your career or just have more fun in life then invest in learning how to Plug Into The Power of Connection!
Source by Meridith Powell